??? Harris NightHawk 4400 Realtime

Jeremy Epstein epstein at trwacs.UUCP
Wed Apr 3 04:16:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.181237.13676 at hubcap.clemson.edu>, turner at udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) writes:
> In article <1991Mar11.132225.13679 at hubcap.clemson.edu> traymund at uiuc.edu (Tim Raymund) writes:
> >
> >We've gotten a good offer from Harris on a NightHawk 4400, an
> >88100 based realtime unix machine.  This offer competes with an
> >offer from DEC on a DECstation 5000.
>
> I can't answer specifics about the 4400, but I can answer general
> question on Harris Equipment. (We are the happy owners of an HCX-9)
[Much more deleted]

A note here: the HCX and the Nighthawk are *not* the same machine at
all.  The HCX is a CCI (aka ICL aka Fujitsu) Power 6 (with a bunch
of changes), while the Nighthawk is a Motorola 88K system.

I saw a demo of the Nighthawk, and was fairly impressed.  The sales
droids said that they do *not* have a graphics board that runs X.
Therefore, you could use it to run your X clients, but not your
X server.

They have a secure OS designed for B1 (based on AT&T System V/MLS).  I'm
not at all impressed by that part of it, as (IMHO) System V/MLS is a real
kludge.  There are much better secure systems to base technology on.

But to answer some of the other questions, it does support NFS, TCP/IP,
SCSI, and most of the other relevant buzzwords.

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Epstein			UUCP: uunet!trwacs!epstein
Trusted X Research Group	Internet: epstein at trwacs.fp.trw.com
TRW Systems Division		Voice: +1 703/876-8776
Fairfax Virginia