SUN-Spots Digest, v3n13

Scott Alexander Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Dec 5 06:01:33 AEST 1985

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST            Wednesday, 4 Dec 1985          Volume 3 : Issue 13

Today's Topics:
		  Mixing Sun-2's and Sun-3's (new question)
			Re: Sun-2's versus Sun-3's (2)
			     Sun-3 floating point
				  Sun-3 VDMA
			   MIDI interface for Suns
	 Anyone have a ttywindow menu filter program? (1.x or 2.x ?)
Date:  3 Dec 1985 1658-PST (Tuesday)
From: trwrb!trwspp!spp1!ritter at ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Phillip A. Ritter)
Subject: Mixing Sun-2's and Sun-3's (new question)

I understand that Sun-2's need Sun-2's as ND servers, and that Sun-3's need
Sun-3's as ND servers (for now).  I even understand why!  I also understand
that Sun-2's and Sun-3's may share NFS filesystems.

Question:  Can Sun-2's and Sun-3's share a common /usr file system?  In
particular, we currently have two file servers (both 2/130's with 2 eagles),
with seven Sun-2's (mostly 2/50's) as clients on each server.  All of the
clients mount /usr from the same the file server (so that we don't have to
dedicate 150Mb of disk twice).  We are getting some 3/75's and Sun-3
upgrades for the file servers.  What I would like to do is upgrade one of
the file servers, put /usr and the Sun-3 clients on it, and move all of the
Sun-2 clients to the second file server (upgrading it when the magical Feb.
release comes out).  Will there be any problems with Sun-2's and Sun-3's
sharing a common /usr?  (In particular, with anthing that might contain
68010/68020 dependencies [in /usr/etc, maybe]).

Phil Ritter
TRW System Development Division
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!spp1!ritter
ARPA: trwrb!trwspp!spp1!ritter at ucbvax.ARPA (or is that .EDU now?)