SUN-Spots Digest, v4n5

Scott Alexander Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Feb 19 08:05:31 AEST 1986

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST             Tuesday, 18 Feb 1986           Volume 4 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
		    On March 1, >1-user Suns cost $2K more
		       Replacing VAXes with SUN/3s (2)
			      vfont format. (3)
			       CLU for the SUN
			   Re: lock removal by tip
			      Pixrect depth bugs
			UNIFORUM demos/announcements??
			   question to whomever...
			  SUN 1Mb -> 4Mb conversion
			      Speed of Sun 3/50
		       are ie boards needed on clients?
			   SUN draw program wanted
	     Need a good (fast, cheap) printer for bitmap images.
		   Changing your cursor in a ttywindow....
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 21:46:32 PST
From: hoptoad!gnu at lll-crg.ARPA (John Gilmore)
Subject: On March 1, >1-user Suns cost $2K more

I found a giant whammy in Sun's latest price list (effective January 22,
1986), on page 31.  I'll just quote and then I'll comment.

"Right to Use Licenses for Latest Revision of Sun-2 or Sun-3 System Software

Note:	1.  Prior to March 1, 1986, all workstations ordered (except
	    the 3/52M) include a 16-user right to use.
	2.  Effective March 1, all workstation ordered (except the
	    3/52M) must include on the customer order one of the
	    following licenses.
	3.  A license can only be purchased with a workstation on the
	    same order.
	4.  Licenses may be upgraded later to add more users (see below).
	5.  NO MEDIA OR MANUALS ARE INCLUDED.  See previous page.

Maximum Number of Concurrent Users Allowed
(See Sun Object Code License for Details)

Single-user	16-user		32-user		64-user		Unlimited

SYSL1		SYSL16		SYSL32		SYSL64		SYSL64P

No charge	$2,000 / A	$4,000 / A	$10,000 / A	$20,000 / A

" unquote.

I've talked to some of the people at Sun about this and indicated that,
both as a customer and a stockholder, I think this is a bad idea.
They seem disinclined to change it, so I thought I'd better warn
you-all that you should either scream loudly enough to get it changed,
or order your upcoming systems before March 1st.

Legally, if you attach a terminal to a Sun Workstation on one of the
serial ports, you are required to pay the extra $2000, effective March
1st.  So it both raises the quotable price of each workstation by $2K
*and* it encourages customers to order the single-user license and
deliberately break their license agreement.

PS:  The "/ A" after the prices is the discount category.

PPS:  After you have ordered the workstation, you can upgrade to a
higher-cost license for the difference in cost plus $200.  Except
when going from a 32-user license, when it's the difference + $1200.
Either they want to discourage 32-user licenses or they can't subtract.