Software Tools in Pascal (Part 0 of 6)

sources-request at genrad.UUCP sources-request at genrad.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 22:13:45 AEST 1985

Mod.sources:  Volume 2, Issue 6
Submitted by: ihnp4!mnetor!clewis (Chris Lewis

Moderators Note:

    This is the README file from a distribution of software tools written
    in Pascal.  Some of the sources are from (or derived from) the book
    "Software Tools in Pascal",  and permission has been obtained from
    Brian Kernighan to post these here.  I have not tried to compile
    these myself, they seem to be tailored to a VM/CMS pascal.  Hopefully
    translation will not be too difficult.

    John Nelson  (decvax!genrad!john)  [moderator, mod.sources]

#!/bin/sh
echo 'Start of pack.out, part 01 of 01:'
echo 'x - README'
sed 's/^X//' > README << '/'
X		A version of Kernighan and Plauger's
X		Software Tools in Pascal (SWTiP)
X		Chris Lewis, Copyright (c) June 1985
X		{whereever}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
X	All of the software in this distribution is copyright, see
X	the notices on the individual files to determine the ownership.
X	Right is hereby granted to freely distribute or duplicate this
X	software, providing distribution or duplication is not for profit
X	or other commerical gain and that this copyright notice remains
X	intact.
XTools in this distribution:
XDefine		define handler
XDeskCalculator desk calculator
XEcho
XExpand		"expand" input "picture"
XGrep
XKwic		kwic index stuff
XMacro		macro and define expansion
XRot		"rotate" a picture
XScreen		prints table of characters
XSort		generic sort merge
XSortDriv	   "     "     "
XSW		editor
Xswch		sort of a "sed"
XSWTr		more or less UNIX "tr"
XUnique		uniq
XWc		word count
Xfontinit.pascal contains a font definition - you should be able
Xto figure out how to build a driver for it.  It is in two pieces,
Xfontinit.A and fontinit.B (so that the batch is smaller than 50k).
XJust catenate them together.
XSome of these are from SWTiP, some I have written myself - these are
Xnoted in the headers.
XUsing this software (details for Pascal/VS on VM/CMS):
X	1) take the swtools.copy file:
X		convert it to Fixed 80
X		add line numbers in column 73-80
X		MACLIB it to SWTOOLS MACLIB
X	    swtools.copy is the complete set of include files required
X	    for building the tools. (from each *COPY to the next)
X	2) Compile all of the source that are "segment"s, and
X	   put the objects in a TXTLIB.
X	   These are library routines used by various programs.
X	3) Compile all of the source that are "program"s, and
X	   link them with TXTLIB.
XMVS users: you will have to change some of the I/O routines (the
Xones copyrighted by me) to use appropriate MVS functions.
XNon-Pascal/VS: you will have to convert the flavour of pascal to
Xwhat you have:
X	Pascal/VS supports separate compilations
X	Pascal/VS supports true strings (which I don't use much)
X	Pascal/VS supports includes
X	Pascal/VS supports fairly complicated initialized global
X		  data types, including binary constants.
X	You may have to throw out all of the I/O, some of the
X	include files, and include all of the routines for a given
X	program together.  Yech!  Good Luck!
XThis software is unsupported, however, upon request I may be able
Xto provide some hints.
/
echo 'Part 01 of pack.out complete.'
exit