mod.std.c Digest V6#3

Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz osd at hou2d.UUCP
Tue May 7 11:44:48 AEST 1985

From: Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz (The Moderator) <cbosgd!std-c>

mod.std.c Digest            Mon,  6 May 85       Volume 6 : Issue   3

Today's Topics:
                    why not #endif blah? (3 msgs)

Date: Sat, 4 May 85 18:06 EDT
From: Mark Purtill <ucbvax!Purtill at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: why not #endif blah?
To: cbosgd!std-c at BERKELEY

No one is asking to be allowed to put "arbitrary garbage" after #endif;
they want to be able to put exactly what was in the corresponing #if or
#ifdef, i.e.,

#ifdef UNIX
#endif UNIX

Presumably, you didn't say

#if if test
#else if test

So that's where you get your error message. (Anyway, why #elif anyway?
That's very ugly.  How about #elseif or even #else if??)  If you really
can't stand to allow it in the standard, at least allow a compiler
-option to not barf when junk is after #endif et. al.

       Mark
^.-.^  Purtill at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA    **Insert favorite disclaimer here**
(("))  2-032 MIT Cambrige MA 02139