OPEN_MAX and other constants - are they desireable?

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Nov 21 04:05:30 AEST 1985

From: shell!graffiti!peter (Peter da Silva)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 85 08:01:43 cst

> > ...but it would not work out nearly as well if I had to
> > make that kind of decision at runtime.
> Why not?  The penalty is a small increase in the size of the
> binary.

For certain architectures, for instance PDP-11 and 8086 small memory
model, that "small increase" may make the difference between having
the program run or not. There have been all too many programs posted
that are "just a little too big" for the PDP-11 to dismiss this
consideration.
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'