Case sensitive file names

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Oct 9 10:02:14 AEST 1986

From: caip!uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!james at seismo.css.gov (James M Synge)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 09:17:04 pdt

Just a note on usefulness:  I've used two machines (Xerox XDE and Amiga) where
the case of a filename is preserved, but not used for comparisons.  This means
I can create a file called READ_ME, and be sure that it stands out (to some
extent) in a directory listing where most filenames are lower case or mixed
case.  This feature is a nice convenience.  Not essential, but nice.

I find it irritating to find filenames like makefile and Makefile in the
same directory, because I must then try to remember the searching scheme used
by make.  There are similar problems with mail and Mail.

None of this is to say it SHOULD be done one way or the other.  I simply want
it kept in mind that people must use these systems, and they have preferences
based on such things as levels of irritability and ease of use; not because
something is "right".
---
James M Synge, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
VOX: 1 206 543 0308 (Work)   1 206 455 2025 (Home)
UUCP: uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!james
ARPA: geops!uw-atm!james at beaver.cs.washington.edu

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 36