job control

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Oct 16 05:24:17 AEST 1986

From: guy at sun.com (Guy Harris)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 86 11:18:03 PDT

> What I meant is that certain common elements should be standardized,
> in particular, the ioctl to get and set the current window size.
> These all look the same, but with different particulars.

This isn't really just a window system issue; the current "termios" proposal
avoids referring to it as a "window" size.  One could imagine features, such
as end-of-"page" pauses in the TTY driver, that would use this information
even on dumb terminals.

> By the way, I think both "get" and "set" operations should be standardized,
> and the standard should state that both ioctls must work on both sides of
> the pty.  (This assumes we can appropriately specify what a "pty" is.)

The "set" operation is in the "termios" proposal; since "pty"s aren't, it
doesn't say anything about whether the operation works on both sides or not.

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 61