Case sensitive file names

Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Tue Oct 7 02:20:30 AEST 1986

From: axiom!drilex!dricej at harvard.UUCP
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 86 10:24:22 edt
Subject: Re:  Case sensitive file names

I fully support Mark Horton's points about making case-insensitivity
optional in POSIX.  The fact remains that case-sensitivity in file names
is a Unix parochialism, and not a very good one, at that.  I've found that
case-sensitivity is not hard to teach, just hard to get along with.  I am
in a situation that is not unusual these days--I use several operating
systems each day (Unix, MS-DOS, VM/CMS, Burroughs MCP).  To remember the
peculiarities of each one is difficult--and case-sensitivity in file names
(and switches) is such a peculiarity.  The uppercase-lowercase system just
wasn't designed to convey that much information (in English)!  Look at
e. e. cummings!
---
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard,linus}!axiom!drilex!dricej
BIX:  cjackson

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 22