Unix Technical Digest V2 #2

Heiby netnews at wnuxb.UUCP
Sat May 11 07:09:47 AEST 1985

Unix Technical Digest       Fri, 10 May 85       Volume  2 : Issue   2

Today's Topics:
                       Can we junk umask(1,2) ?
                  CTS/RTS handshake - a hardware fix
                 Default "make" rule for RCS Checkout
                        rsh (Restricted Shell)
                  Saving Terminal modes on a pyramid
            Summary of responses to my {c,m,re}alloc query
                   System V for IBM-like mainframes

Date: 06-May-85 14:41:11 MET (Monday)
From: seismo!mcvax!enea!sal!jf (Johan Finnved)
Subject: Can we junk umask(1,2) ?

About one year ago I came across some papers on BSD describing their
protection sceme where a process have belong to several groups
when it comes to accessing files, and files are born with a
group id taken from the directory where it was first created rather
than from the process effective gid.

I thought this was a very good idea and iimidiately hacked it into
our XENIX 2.3 kernel. - It wasn't hard at all.

Now to the point:
Could we use the same sceme for protection codes that is:
- mkdir(1) would create directories with identical privileges as "newdir/.."
- create(2) would mask the write bits with corresponding directory write bits
  and read and execute bits would be masked with corresponding directory
  read bits.
  (not directory execute bits since they have a completely different meaning).
This default may be correct more often than the static umask value.
(It may cost less anger when people update a common project with umask=027)

What do people think about this.

			Johan Finnved @ Objecta, Sweden