phdaemon: how do you get rid of it?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 00:03:58 AEST 1988

In article <6142 at chinet.chi.il.us> dsueme at chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
|>I compiled and installed phdaemon (latest in x-pc.sources) but It doesn't
|>work probably because I failed to note the comments indicating a change or
|>two for use with ph0 used as a switched voice/data line.  So I'm ready to
|>try making those changes but I can't install the new version because the
|>old version is busy.  An attempt to rm phdaemon returns something about
|>"text file in use" - apparently phdaemon is linked to that log file.

Well since I'm "one" of the authors of a phdaemon version running around there,
I figured I would answer this message.  Basically "Text file busy" has nothing
to do with phdaemon, in fact it has a more general meaning.  Basically you
were trying to overwrite (or in your case remove) the executable of phdaemon
while it was in execution.  What you need to do is to terminate the execution
of the program (ie. phdaemon), and then relink the program.  This will happen to
any program you are trying to compile that is running already.

|>In the code posting a comment indicated that phdaemon would be active
|>as long as the phone manager process is active.  Thus my question is:
|>how do I de-activate phdaemon (or phone manager, if comment was accurate)?
|>ps -a gives me no clue.

To terminate the execution nicely of phdaemon you need to do this: (as root)

# ps -e | fgrep phdaemon
   138   ? 30:25 phdaemon
# kill 138

The phdaemon process will catch the SIGTERM signal (15) and terminate nicely.
Likewise you can kill the ph process, but in this case there is no need to.
If you killed the ph process, phdaemon will terminate as well.  To start
the ph process again type:

# /etc/ph

To start the phdaemon:

# /etc/daemons/phdaemon

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \