3.51a Problems( Was: Re: tty000 'n' uucico ...)

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Mon Aug 8 00:09:10 AEST 1988

>What are the bugs introduced by the 3.51a kernel?  I've been running
>if for a couple months, and haven't noticed anything, although it
>still doesn't seem to hang up the phone after a uucico, which was
>one of the things I thought was supposed to be fixed.
>
>BTW, I've had my system up since February with only 1 or 2 unexplained
>crashes.  I've been real pleased.

There are a couple of extremely obscure bugs that apparently only a
very few people have found.  It's so obscure that ATT won't even
bother telling you what it is.  :-)

Anyways, the biggest problem introduced is uucico traffic through the
On Board Modem _may_ in some some cases, cause the machine to panic.
This is similar to the "crash after uucico" problem uucico used to
have, but this is actually caused by the OBM driver stuff within the
kernel.  It has some difficulties closing out a buffer, and dies.
Sometimes.  This is being repaired in that next release.

By the way, this bug does not affect any of the serial ports, so if
you're not using the OBM, you won't actually see this problem (though
with 3b1's, there's no guarantee you won't see any problems anyways,
:-)

--
                                                             Robert J. Granvin
"Martyrs are just dying                     National Information Systems, Inc.