3b1 tape cartdrige

j.l.wood jlw at lznv.ATT.COM
Fri Feb 19 04:28:43 AEST 1988

In article <2584 at codas.att.com>, mikel at codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) writes:

> One other note about the streamer drive for the UNIX Pc, we seem to
> be having problems with the specific combination of OS 3.51, a STARLAN
> board, and a tape controler board in the same machine. With the addittion
> of the tape drive, the PC crashes right after booting.
> --
> 					Mikel Manitius
> 					mikel at codas.att.com

I have a memo which may pertain to this problem; ie UNIX-PC
crashing with both a tape backup and a STARLAN card present.
This is from September, 1986 so it predates 3.51.  Your UNIX-PC
may panic trap with a message stating "Panic: Page Fault in Kernel."

If it does so try the following:

*  First put the tape in slot 1 (leftmost from the back)
   and the STARLAN card in slot 2 (middle slot).  If the
   problem persists, do the following.

*  Remove from the STARLAN board the 47pf ceramic cap which
   is located as the second component outboard of the middle IC
   (of 5) of the row closest to the board edge connector.
   Got all that?  See drawing below.
   The capacitor is known as C48.  Just clip it off and toss
   it.  Most recent STARLAN NAUs have had this component removed
   already, if it was there at all.  If this still doesn't work,
   try the following.

*  Call your AT&T Service Representative. (Honest that's what it
   sez.)

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

	E	 _____