UNIX-PC vs. line printers

C. Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.UUCP
Mon Feb 8 04:23:31 AEST 1988

In article <2430 at ihuxv.ATT.COM>, rck at ihuxv.ATT.COM (R. C. Kukuk) writes:

> Well guess what, whenever I tried printing a file at 8 lpi, the
> first 66 lines would print and then the printer would form feed
> to the top of the next page.  Of course I blamed the printer and
> made several calls to the Epson technical support people.
> It was there I learned that I could put the printer into a data
> dump mode that printed what it received in a form similar to those old
> IBM core dumps.  When I printed (dumped) a file this way, I found
> out that after 65 line feeds, the 66th had been replaced by a form
> feed!.
>
> Does anyone out there know how to disable this 66 line "feature"?
>
> Ron Kukuk

Use lpadmin to change the device for your printer from /dev/lp to /dev/rawlp.
This gives you the effect you desire of having your text stream sent to
the printer unprocessed by the driver.  However, you will now need to insure
that your printer interface program handles your job the way you want it
to.

I have written a number of involved interface programs to handle options
for setting printer parameters (8lpi, compressed pitch, etc) and have been
using the rawlp device with good success.

Good luck.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff