ph .phinit .phclr phupd ya ba dee ya ba dee yub

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 16:33:06 AEST 1988

Well, I got tired of the phone junk crashing my system all the time, so
I took drastic measures:

I removed (deinstalled): phone manager, ate (async_main)

Lo and behold there was a problem: After all this I could only use line
two pulse. Grrrr

Part of the deinstall of ph change /etc/.phinit from "ph" to ".phclr"

The program .phclr is a stupid piece of trash. It is supposed to read the
.lineone and .linetwo files and use this info to tell /etc/phupd how to set
the phone lines. .phclr then sits there like a nice little doggie and makes
the phone manager window blank instead of grey.

Ahh yes, the trouble. Apparently .phclr only processes the first .linexxx
files it runs into and ignores the second. I have two phone lines, voice
on ph0 and data on ph1. Both are touch tone lines. When .phclr finds and
does .lineone, it quits. To get around this bug, I replaced phupd with a
program that prints it's parameters, then used the info to change
/etc/.phinit
-> from:
/etc/.phclr
-> to:
# /etc/.phclr HA HA HA
/etc/phupd ph0 VOICE YES NO NO
/etc/phupd ph1 DATA YES NO NO

Anybody else been through all this and came up with a better idea?

As many of you who are scratching your heads about why this doesn't
match your system, it's because I am running 3.51

I think its about time for us to write a replacement phone manager.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; talk to me about fractals