OBM

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 20:13:32 AEST 1988

In article <137 at limbic.UUCP>, gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:

> One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
> OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
> folks, the hardware is not at fault.

I think the OBM is real junk, especially coming from "the" phone
company.  Before getting my 3b1 I was using a Racal-Vadic modem
at 1200 with a dumb terminal, and *never* saw any line noise at
all.  Then with the OBM, the quality of local calls using it is
awful (all the extraneous characters - tildes and the like).
(There was all the talk on the net months ago about what causes
this, how its usually the local Telco's fault, etc.)  However,
then I got a TrailBlazer Plus and when I use it at 1200 baud
(using the same Bell protocol that the OBM uses) there are *never*
any extraneous characters at all.  Seems like Telebit understands
the 1200 baud protocol better than AT&T.

Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
modems ??

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens