Where is "_assert"?

j eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 23:57:33 AEST 1988

In article <2162 at rtech.UUCP>, ralph at rtech.UUCP (Ralph Harnden) writes:
> While make-ing Larry Wall's patch package (thanks, Larry!) on my 3B1,
> ld complained that _assert.o was missing.  Sure enough, <assert.h>
> references _assert, but _assert.o is not in /lib/libc.a (assert.o
> is in there).  Nor is _assert referenced in /lib/shlib.ifile.
> Somebody please tell me what I'm missing here!??!

Ok, I got a file called 7300make, or something like that with mine.  Here's
what I did to it and the Makefile:

SRC = patch.c pch.c inp.c version.c util.c
OBJ = patch.o pch.o inp.o version.o util.o assert.o
                                           ^^^^^^^^  Tacked this on here.

all of the following was commented out.  I uncommented the dependencies.

# assert.o is now in the shared library, yeah!
assert.o:
	ar x /lib/libc.a assert.o

Whammo!  The whole thing worked.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...