shlib and curses on unix pc

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 07:41:54 AEST 1988

In article <201 at elgar.UUCP> ford at kenobi.cts.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
|>In article <559 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>>Has anyone managed to compile a program that uses curses,
|>>with the shared library.  I tried it and it does not seem to work.
|>
|>Who ever said it would?

Nah, it doesn't work unless you make a kludged shlib.ifile.

You can copy the shlib.ifile to say, shlib-c.ifile, and remove all the
lines from the shlib-c.ifile that are duplicates in curses.  Then link
with:

     $ ld /lib/crt0s.o /lib/shlib-c.ifile *.o -lcurses

This should work so long as you don't need any tam stuff too (why would you
need both I guess :-).  I think I remember having to do it before to
something (Lenny, remember what it was???) in order for it to link this
way (I like using the shlib since the resultant object code is smaller).

No guarantees on this (ie. this is semi-flameproof :-) .. but I believe I
used it once and it works.  REMEMBER!!  DO NOT CHANGE "shlib" OR THE ORIGINAL
"shlib.ifile" .. IF YOU DO, YOUR SYSTEM WILL DO ALMOST NOTHING!  You will
have to go to the floppies and do some other unmentionable kludging to get
the system running again!

| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil at limbic.UUCP              |