shlib and curses on unix pc

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Thu Jun 23 23:53:32 AEST 1988

Has anyone managed to compile a program that uses curses,
with the shared library.  I tried it and it does not seem to work.

The command I used was
$ ld /lib/crt0s.o /lib/shlib.ifile *.o -lcurses

First, I got many messages stating that curses had redefined symbols.
These, I suspect, are also defined in the shared library.
Though, if I leave off the -lcurses, there are a lot of undefined
symbols.

Then, after letting the link continue, it turned out that
_doprnt (among others) was undefined, (ie. not in the shared library,
though in /lib/libc.a).
I added -lc to the link command to see if it would add the missing routines,
without causing any other problems, but that did not work.
I got more messages about redefined symbols.
It did link though.

However, the created file was significantly larger than without the
shared library, (190K vs 150K), not smaller.
And when I ran it, I got a core dump.

It appears that the shared library contains some of -lcurses, but not all
of -lc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Tkacik
tkacik at gmr.com