turning pc off 1 year

dave munroe dave at safari.UUCP
Fri Jun 10 15:56:07 AEST 1988

> >I'm going out of country for a year and want to crate my 3b1 ...
>
> The biggest problem is going to be the disk...  We turned these systems off
> for about 1 month and when I turned them back on all of the disk failed to
> spin up.  Problem the grease had hardened on the disk spindle.

I would be interested if others have had similiar experiences (or especially
experiences to the contrary) after shutting their system down for periods of
a month or more.

What about 'fire sale' machines that have been warehoused for a year or two?
My 3B1 was made in September 1986; I bought it a year later during the fire
sale and had it running for 6 months, then powered it down for two months
since I have another machine.  On powering it back up, it ran for a few
minutes and then shut down (as if the power supply had failed).  AT&T depot
repair says the disk spindle had locked up...

						-dave

						...pacbell!safari!dave
						...ihnp4!safari!dave