turning pc off 1 year

Gary Sanders gws at n8emr.UUCP
Wed Jun 8 12:38:23 AEST 1988

In article <10398 at sol.ARPA> brown at cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) writes:
>I'm going out of country for a year and want to crate my 3b1 until I
>return.  Any hints, dangers, recommended procedures?  I tend to be worried
>about the clock battery, I guess. Thanks for any info --

Chris..
	I would worry more about the disk than the clock.. If you want
you can remove a jumper on the mother board that will disable the
battery, or let it run down and replace it when you get back.
The biggest problem is going to be the disk. I had a number of
20mb 7300/6300 that had 20mb disk. These ran 24hr/day for several years.
We turned these systems off for about 1month and
when I turned them back on all of the disk failed to spin up. Problem
the grease had hardened on the disk spindle. You might get away with
greasing up up the drive before you leave. Make a couple of backups
before you leave and also keep a list of passwords for the system,
or clear them out..

--
Gary W. Sanders				HAM/SWL BBS 614-457-4227
(uucp) gws at n8emr 			(uucp) osu-cis!n8emr!gws