Problems with line printer on a unixpc

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Thu Jun 30 02:44:17 AEST 1988

In article <626 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>I just reconnected my printer to my unixpc after about a year of
>non-use.
>
>When I tried to print sonething, nothing came out (no suprise there :-)).
>But I was never able to get anything to work.
>
>lpstat -r said that the scheduler is not running.
>
>Invoking lpsched did not seem to help.
>Neither did enable or accept.
>I tried to reset the printer form the UA, but that did not help.
>The /etc/rc file seems to start the lp system, but rebooting did not help.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  (Probably something simple.)

Nope, I don't expect that this is all that simple.  The scheduler will not
stay running unless the contents of the /usr/spool/lp/ tree are just right.
It's very sensitive, and has no diagnostic messages.

Try lpstat -t and see if anything is obviously wrong.  Try to see if there
are things in the queue which no longer exist.  Make sure there are the
proper directories for EVERY legal destination.  Make sure the fifo
/usr/spool/lp/FIFO does not exist until after the scheduler creates it.
If all else fails, get a cpio archive of a working /usr/spool/lp/ and
replace your own.

Here's the skeleton of the tree at this site:

- du
- 2	./class
- 3	./interface
- 2	./member