BSD stuff --> libndir and libdbm

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Mon Jun 20 14:36:52 AEST 1988

> IBM put a copy of the dbm code in the X11 release (ie released the
> code) with a "copyright IBM with permission for anyone to use, copy,
> modify, etc" notice in it.  There are no "copyright AT&T" notices in it.
>
> Given this situation, it *is* legal for me to use and distribute this
> code.  There are no trade secret, copyright, or license violations
> in my doing so...

Careful, it ain't necessarily so.  Agreed that IBM may get some harsh
words from AT&T.  Agreed, also, that someone innocently using the stuff
off the X tape is technically in the clear.  However, note the adverbs in
that sentence.  First, "innocently":  if you know full well -- or could
reasonably be expected to know -- that the stuff on the tape is pirated,
you may *not* be in the clear.  Second, "technically":  a lawsuit started
by a giant corporation can be painful and expensive even if you win.

Understand, I don't work for the AT&T Software Police :-).  I doubt that
AT&T is going to get very upset with you over personal use.  But if I
were considering incorporating that stuff in a commercial product (or a
non-commercial product), I for one would (a) hesitate, and (b) seriously
consider getting legal advice first.  Be careful, it's loaded.
--
Man is the best computer we can      |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
put aboard a spacecraft. --Von Braun | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry