making "expire" work

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus
Tue Mar 8 10:24:54 AEST 1988

I know there are better places to post messages of this genre, but I only
get the unix-pc groups right now, so here goes:

I've been trying to "expire" messages (now reaching 2 meg - just unix-pc.*!),
but every time I run expire, no matter what the parameters, I get the message:

expire: Cannot get NEWSGRP gr entry

Several things could be causing this (peculiarities with my news directories
in particular), but I think it's more likely related to a missing file or
something like that.  Can anyone help me?  Reply through mail or
unix-pc.general if it's of general interest.

-Darren

/******                      /*****       {mcnc}            Darren G. Friedlein
 *     *      /******        *            {icus}  Rt 4 Box 416, Durham NC 27703
 *     *      *              *            {ethos}    data(bacchus):919/596-7746
 *     *urham \*****\        *     ompany {gladys}           voice:919/596-9492
\******             *oftware \*****       {bakerst}!bacchus!darren
              ******/
"I broke a mirror in hy house - I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but
my lawyer thinks he can get me five."            -Steven Wright