Why two fgrep's?

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Mon Mar 28 15:55:16 AEST 1988

In article <414 at dplace.UUCP> djl at dplace.UUCP (Dave Lampe) writes:
>Does anyone know why there are 2 fgrep's on the unix-pc?
>
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     bin        4312 Jan  1  1970 /bin/fgrep
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     bin        4300 Aug 13  1987 /usr/bin/fgrep
>
>My guess would be that /usr/bin/fgrep came with 3.51 and it was
>installed in the wrong place.
>
>Dave Lampe
>{ihnp4 | ames | lll-tis}!ptsfa!pacbell!dplace!djl
>(415) 455-1571

This is interesting because I don't have 2 fgrep's on my 3B1, and I have
installed 3.51 and the fixdisk (to 3.51a).

What is even more interesting (probably more so for you than for me) is that
my /bin/fgrep is the same size as your /bin/fgrep.  The question now is
where did the /usr/bin/fgrep come from?

This doesn't provide any answers to your question I guess, except that since
I just got my 3B1 two weeks ago and installed the OS recently, if it were
something in the installation I should have two also.  Perhaps it came from
some other software you installed??

| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Computer Group, Systems Dvlp. | {boulder,ihnp4,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil|
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil at icus.UUCP                |