Ways of connecting Unix PC's

Ken Brassler ken at maxepr.UUCP
Sat Mar 12 07:22:38 AEST 1988

In article <341 at manta.UUCP> brant at manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <234 at safari.UUCP> dave at safari.UUCP (dave munroe) writes:
>> [ dave wants to connect two computers via modems ]
>>    |       ph0<-----RJ11 null-modem------------->ph0|
>
>From the above diagram, it appears that you hope to use both ph0/ph1
>on the 3b1 for DATA connections.  As far as I can tell, this is not
>possible.

There is one other slight problem here. A null-modem cable is used
for connecting two rs-232 ports together when you're NOT using
modems.

You ARE using modems, so what you need is a "null-telephone company"
cable. You know, a cable that will produce a dial tone when ph0 goes
off-hook, then decode the tone sequence it receives, then produce a
ring signal to the other ph0, etc..... :-)
--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken