Diffs 3B1/7300 - Conversion

Ken Brassler ken at maxepr.UUCP
Sat Mar 5 06:34:05 AEST 1988

In article <3898 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
>** SO, you expert UNIX-PC hardware hackers out there -- if I were
>to swap the HD, add extra RAM (maybe just an expansion board -
>I seem to remember seeing that the 1/2 Meg can be populated with
>2Meg), swap the hood,  I would then have a 3B1, RIGHT?

The Unixpc reference manual, which was probably written by
Convergent Tech, makes no distinction between a 7300 and a 3b1. As a
matter of fact, the 7300/3b1 terminology is never mentioned.
Instead, it describes a single computer that can have from 1/2 to 2
meg of ram, and 10 to 67 meg of hard disk. 3b1, it seems, is just
AT&T marketing terminology.

Others will no doubt tell you of the problems you may encounter
trying to upgrade the motherboard ram to 2 meg.

But I think you should consider mounting your new hard disk in an
external cabinet, with it's own power supply. Here's why;

1. The cabinet & power supply will cost around $100, about the same
as a new 3b1 cover (if you can still get it).

2. You will remove considerable load from the internal supply, which
seems to be a weak spot in the machine.

3. You can use your existing disk as a quick change, standby disk, in
the event of a crash.

4. If you need lots of disk space, you can buy several disks. Just
shutdown, plug in a new disk, and reboot.

5. It's quieter with the disks located remotely.

I put a small set of shelves behind and beneath my desk. It holds my
disks and external modem. Makes a nice installation.

Something to think of, anyway...
--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken