UNIXpc weirdness on bootup - into shell

Dave Mundhenk doc at nucleus.UUCP
Tue Aug 1 06:22:42 AEST 1989

[Pardon me if this posting appears more than once. Netnews was
acting screwy on holin and I didn't think it ever made it out.]

HERE WE GO AGAIN! %-{

About 2 weeks ago I posted a plea for help on my 7300 system.
(Actually, I think I only posted to comp.sys.att and unix-pc.general).
It had been difficult to boot and when it did the hard disk was
hosed. I reformated the disk and did a full restore. I had to
use 'afio' to restore some trashed cpio archives (thanks to all
who helped).

After another crazy week or so, I finally got to start my system
up again, and walked back downstairs to eat my dinner. When I come
back, what does it tell me? "Panic, init died. Press hardware
reset."  Lovely.  I reboot and watch this time.

The loader seems OK. Then it says:

"Version 3.5.1.4
Real memory      = 1048576
Available memory = 696320
Main board is P3...P5you have mail
#                                 "

I got the '#' prompt within about 3 seconds after the memory
info appeared. Most commands don't work - e.g. "ls: cannot execute"
Same with mount, fsck, etc. On top of that, "cd /etc" yields
"/etc: bad directory".

Ok, so it looks like part of my filesystem is hosed. Especially bad
is that it seems like /etc is completely gone, along with init, rc,
and all the really handy stuff. Cpio doesn't work, so I can't restore
my backup of /. I have backups of any other important stuff.
I ran diagnostics on the disk and main board, with no problems.
BTW, the disk is a CDC 94155-36 of unknown history...and it's being