WARNING 3B1 ATTFixDisk breaks HDB

Ronald K. Wright rwright at novavax.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 01:28:47 AEST 1989

I received AT&T 3.51 Fix Disk ver 1.0 Fix 1014.

I installed it on one of my 3B1s with:

3.51
Development set
Voice Mail
Telephone manager
HoneyDanBear UUCP
HoneyDanBear Administration
3 megabytes RAM
Expansion RS232
40 megabytes HD

I installed the whole works...there are 8 fixes.

uucp stopped.
I uninstalled HDB and HDB administration.
During the latter process, all control stopped.
I hit reset and after 2 Fsck dumps got to the
place where I should get a login:  No login.
Let the machine sit and it gave out some "panic double bus errors"

I just reinstalled everything.

I conclude that the fix disk is not a wise thing to do if you are
lucky enough to have HDB Uucp.

If I get up the courage {and strength} I may try again leaving Uucp
off of the fix list.

However, I keep remembering an old political slogan "If it ain't broke
do'n fix it"

rkw