yet again Re: crontab Daemon-from-Hell

Chris Siebenmann cks at ziebmef.uucp
Fri Aug 18 15:26:24 AEST 1989

thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes (in a really ancient
 article I should have replied to long ago):
| From my displays at the West Coast Computer Faire, discussions in the local
| UNIXPC SIG of the AT&T Users' Group, and from other chance meetings of fellow
| UNIXPC'ers, it's clear to me that MOST owners/users of UNIXPC systems are
| simply not aware of such things being done TO them (by the crontab scripts and
| whatever else.)

 Congratulations; you've just learned another lesson of Unix system
administraion. One should *always* look at the automated scripts that
ye spiffy Unix system wants to run; from crontab, on startup, in
/etc/profile, in /etc/inittab. One usually finds out some quite
interesting and often important information, and one avoids nasty
surprises (like that fsck -y that's probably *still* in people's
/etc/rc; send email for a copy of my article about why this is a Real
Bad Idea and how to fix it).

[For example, take a look at /etc/cleanup.wk -- it shows you how to
 get smgr to empty out /usr/adm/cronlog, for example (and it removes
 week-old core files for you, and other functions).]
--
"Would that Aza Chorn had teleported Bates elsewhere and not removed
 so charming and preposterous a folly from our skyline ... but then he