uncompress and enhanced diagnostics

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Wed Aug 16 23:31:53 AEST 1989

On the subject of the e.d. diskette:

	Every enhanced s4diag I've seen has been a copy of one
	I threw together a couple of years ago as a special
	item for someone-since-forgotten.  Perhaps Thad's
	diskette is different: I'm always braced for surprises !-)

	Since that time -- in fact, only about a month ago --
	data & E-mail from Craig Votava made me realize
	that my specifications for one of the drives is WRONG:

		Maxtor XT1140 ACTUALLY has:	 918 Cylinders
			    is LISTED as:	1024 Cylinders

	1024 was the data I was provided at the time, and for
	unrecalled reasons I think I'd even called Maxtor to
	verify the data.

	On the OTHER SIDE: I believe the value of 1024 HAS BEEN
	SUCCESSFULLY USED -- but you wouldn't catch _ME_ risking
	it.  If _I_ had an XT1140, I'd use "OTHER" to enter the
	details by hand.  (Actually, I _DO_ have an XT1140...
	but it was hand-initialized by someone with the correct
	data.)

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm -- GROWLING onwards...