UNIXPC: 3.5.1.4 worth my time?

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Sat Aug 5 14:37:20 AEST 1989

In article <758 at argon.UUCP> ebh at argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
>Hypothetical question:  Suppose someone from the "Institute for
>Unix-PC Research" used legally licensed 3B1 OS source, purchased from
>AT&T, to hack up the general disk driver to use all the capability of
>the Milton board.  How illegal would it be to give away the BINARY of
>the new driver?  What about the general case of binary bugfix patches?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the gd driver is linked directly
into the kernel and can't be setup as a loadable device driver.  Given this,
you would have to distribute a new kernel which would probably not go over
too well with the folks at AT&T.

I found the reference about gd I was looking for.  In the CTIX device driver
manual they state: "Because syslocal(2) currently does not patch the gdsw
table, drivers for the general disk-type devices are not loadable."

--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!{mnetor,dptcdc}!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.