Gdb on a Unix PC (7300, 3b1)

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Tue Aug 15 22:16:47 AEST 1989

Brian Kilgore writes:
> I am trying to get Gdb 3.1.2 to compile on an AT&T UNIX PC (7300, 3B1). I have
>made the proper changes to files to get Gdb to compile, but I need to find out
>the values to the following defines:
>      FUNCTION_START_OFFSET
>      KERNEL_U_ADDR
>      STACK_END_ADDR
>I have tried to look up these values but have been unable to find them so far.

	I have been trying to get gdb3.0 working on the unixpc,
with marginal success.  Most things appear to be working,
except that gdb seems to be able to find the source to only
the last file linked into the executable.  If the program only has one
source file, then all is well, but then that's not very useful :-).

	These are the values that I am using.  I got them in a set of patches
posted by (I believe) Bob Rose (rrr at naucse.UUCP), for gdb2.5.
I can mail them if needed.  They are a great place to start from.
I do not know where he got these numbers, but they seem to work.

#define FUNCTION_START_OFFSET 0
#define KERNEL_U_ADDR 04266 /* my mom told me so! */
#define STACK_END_ADDR 0x1000000

Good luck, and let the world know if you get things working.
I would be very interested in hearing if you figure out how to get gdb
to understand multiple source files again.  Gdb2.5 did not have this
problem, but it did not try to incrementally read in the symbol table.
I think that is the cause.

---
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik
"If you can't stand the bugs, stay out of the roach-motel."  Ron Guilmette
--
---