WARNING 3B1 ATTFixDisk breaks HDB

Pat Myrto pat at rwing.UUCP
Sun Aug 13 00:29:47 AEST 1989

In article <12385 at s.ms.uky.edu>, david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> One of the files the fixdisk replaced was
>
> 	/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>
> it's no wonder that UUCP stopped working for you.

In the above, the uucico was a Version 2, which overwrote HDB uucico.

The above example is why I have formed the habit of examining the
contents of an archive (disk or otherwise) and save things I am unsure
about before I let it overwrite anything.  In the case of cpio
archives on floppies, this is by doing (from a shell prompt):

cpio -iBctv </dev/rfp021

and watching the listing.  The "t" option prevents an actual write,
and causes a listing instead, the "v" makes the listing in long form.

If its an "auto-install", I also like to extract into a test
directory, and look over the install script before I commit and
actually install the package.  This has saved me headaches on a number
of occasions.  Even if "Install" scripts save things, often it is not
complete, so by doing this I get a chance to save - usually as a tar
file - anything I may want to recover if the install doesn't go as
expected.

--
pat at rwing     ...!nwnexus!mltco!camco!happym!\      (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                          ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat