Getting symbols from /etc/lddrv/wind (was Re: sockets & ptys)

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Tue Aug 8 21:51:33 AEST 1989

In article <945 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
:
>Why not use nlist(3C)?  That's what it was made for!   All you need
>to do is to set up a struct nlist with all the symbols (assuming you know
>the symbol name [which can be gotten with nm or looking at the ifile.wind])
>you need and then call nlist("/etc/lddrv/wind",&nl) ...
>
>The symbol and their appropriate addresses are returned right there
>for you.  Then you can do what you need with them ...

For speed purposes, you may choose to ALSO keep a binary file with the
info.  AFTER confirming it is more recent in mtime than /etc/lddrv/wind,
you can save considerable time just picking it rather than re-scanning
the name list -- the kernel name list is vastly larger than it should be.

Alternatively, you can scratch the binary file on re-boots, and build it each
first-time it's used -- like most SAR implementations, if I recall correctly.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm	-- mindless sexist GROWLER....