P5.1 kit available

Brian D. Botton botton at laidy.i88.isc.com
Wed Dec 13 17:39:29 AEST 1989

Hi Fellow Unix-PC'ers,

  This has been a while in coming, the truth is, I recently found
something more interesting then computers, and softer too, ;-).

  Anyway, I am now offering to provide the P5.1 upgrade kit I mentioned
a few months ago.  For those of you who just joined the 3B1/7300 world,
the P5.1 mod allows you to access more 8 heads on your hard disk.  You
need a different controller chip, a WD2010 which I am NOT providing, to
get more then 1024 cylinders.

  I also want everyone to understand that this offer is not meant to
compete with Lenny and Gil's efforts.  Their kit allows the use of a
second disk drive.  I am offering this upgrade so we can keep the our
machines viable.

  With the kit you will get the following goodies:

	A programmed PAL.
	A low insertion force socket for the PAL.
	A decoupling capacitor.
	Complete instructions.

  The instructions include several pages from the original Convergent
documents.  These copies are about the 20th generation, so quality isn't
the best, but they are reasonable.  There are four pages that show part
of the PC board with wire routing information.  There is also a page
showing the schematic after the mod.  I will also include instructions
on how to take your machine apart and the PAL equations.

  So what is this going to cost, you may be asking.  A mere $6.00 U.S. for
the whole package, including shipping, overseas people please include a
little extra for postage.  For an additional $1.00 I will include the
special extended diagnostics disk which allows you to format your hard
disk with more than 8 heads and/or more then 1024 cylinders.  If you bought
the floppy offered with the group WD2010 buy, you don't need this floppy.

  Send a check, money order, or cash in U.S funds to me at:

	Brian D. Botton
	4715 Old Oaks Dr. #3B
	Lisle, IL. 60532

  Also, for those of you who haven't jumped on the video ram access
bandwagon,  I still have partial kits available for $10.  You get a
PAL, PC board, and complete instructions.  I will be providing both of
these kits indefinitely.

  As always, if there are any questions, send e-mail.
--
   _][_n_n___i_i ________  *******		Brian D. Botton