/etc/modemcap, this and that

Karl Botts kdb at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Dec 4 05:54:52 AEST 1989

Miscellaneous questions:

How come there is no modemcap(4) in my 3b1 SysV 3.51 manual set?  Is it
supposed to be there?  I am trying to get a trailblazer to work with the
old pre-HDB uucp, with no luck.  uucico almost, but not quite, knows how to
set up and dial the telebit when told that it is a hayes; I think I could
hack up a 'telebit" entry for modemcap if I know what the heck the fields
meant.  The stuff in the file header doesn't seem to tell me; it seems to
be about what dial(3) knows about the OBM as a special case, rather than
the general case of building a modemcap entry.  Am I wrong about this?

While I am at it, where is ctags?  Is it supposed to have come with
the development kit?  If so, I ain't got it.  I keep having the feeling
some things are missing on this machine.

Once again, how can I dial into THE STORE?  I have asked this question
before, and I get answers, but they seem to assume that I have some special
software that I don't have, or don't know it if I do, and really don't
want if I can get by without it.  I just want to dial
in with cu or pcomm -- I don't use the User Agent.  The principal thing I
want to get is HDB uucp, because I know people who have got a trailblazer
working with it, but nobody who has the TB working with the old uucp.
The number I have, 201-957-4646, is answered by uucico; I suppose I could
try and quess an anonymous login, but since I don't know any filenames or
anything to transfer with uucp, so what good would it do me.

What is the state of g++ for the 3b1?  Anybody got compiled binaries, like
for gcc?  If not, and if I can this dang telebit working so I can get the
source without ruinous phone bills, I would get it running and make it
available myself.

Finally, is there anybody in the Chicago metro area who would like to set
up a uucp connection?  I use chinet, a public access node, for my news and
mail, but he is badly overloaded and having hardware trouble.  I have also
tried to contact tarkus, who is listed in the maps as my closest physical
neighbor 3b1 with a telebit, but "We're sorry, that phone number has been
disconnected."  Where are you, tarkus?

Answers to any of these uestions apprecieated; you don't have to answer
them all to make me grateful.  Reply to:

Karl Botts      ...{gargoyle,mcdchg,nucsrl}!chinet!kdb
                kdb at chinet.chi.il.us