220Mhz vs Unix-pc

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Dec 4 21:30:03 AEST 1989

Again re: the problem of the UNIXPC shutting down in the presence of a
strong RF field ...

My CAR's electronics (1983 Ford Thunderbird) shut down whenever some cretin
"rubber ducky" splatters the airwaves with a (presumably) 1KW+ illegal linear
amplifier modified for the CB bands.  There'd always be 1-2 seconds of typical
CB banter coming through my FM radio just before the problem starts; as soon
as the #%$^@% drives on ahead, the problem would cease.

This has happened 3 times in 6 years, always in San Jose CA, and it was
obvious (to me) from the nature of the suspect vehicle (different each time)
that a scofflaw was loose and running amuck.

Wonder what happens to people using a PaceMaker or hearing aid if the excess
RF energy affects my CAR that way?

The problem causes all instruments in the dash to go crazy, the ignition to
stop igniting, and the radio to cease.  Usually lasts 2-4 seconds until the
offender gets out of range.  At times like those, one wishes for a bazooka
mounted on the fender!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]