Submission for Unix-PC

Steve Johnson scj at casux4.uucp
Mon Dec 11 07:28:22 AEST 1989

In article <8912080450.AA20987 at ames.arc.nasa.gov> gatelist at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
>Until recently I have been able to use my 3B-1 at home as a terminal to dial in
>to computers at work.  However, for security reasons, my employer has replaced
>the conventional modems it had before with a call back system.

(...)

>Can anoyone recommend some software which does what I want.

(...)

>-Michael Aramini
> work:  aramini at apollo.hp.com  -or-  ...!apollo!aramini
> home:  ...!apollo!mja!aramini

While waiting for a UnixPC guru ( ;-) ) to provide the elegant answer,
you could try the kludge below:

1. cu -s<speed> -l<ttyXXX> to a modem set for auto-answer.
2. dial "by hand," e.g., "ATDTXXXXXXX" or it's equivalent.
3. login to the callback modem.
4. after verification, enter the modem's command mode and hang up
   (+++ATH).
5. wait for callback and "login:" prompt.

Note that your modem must not "hangup" the tty line when you hang up the
remote callback machine.  If it does and you cannot configure your modem
to prevent this, IMMEDIATELY "cu" again or try another access program
such as kermit or pcom.