Interesting "Feature" of lpsetup

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Fri Dec 15 17:12:35 AEST 1989

In article <4261 at rtech.rtech.com> bruces at daneel.UUCP (Bruce Stewart) writes:
>As another note, I discovered that despite the fact that /dev/rawlp works a
>lot better than /dev/lp for a parallel device; I used lpadmin to switch the
>parallel printer device from /dev/lp (set up that way by the ua) to /dev/rawlp
>and performance improved markedly.

Important folks.../dev/lp doesn't seem to pass all characters without
translation (ie. it's NOT raw!!)...  Lenny and I tried to connect a
laser printer to the parallel port, and Lenny thought he had a bum
printer...  When we circumvented the lp spooler and directed the output
of the programs to /dev/rawlp, all worked (and worked WELL, at that).

Agreed...and anyone who is comfortable with UNIX at the command-level
should work on doing without it, or make the current UA scripts work
PROPERLY.  The system can be made a lot more versatile without the
UA. (flames to /dev/null ...)

Gil.