Submission for Unix-PC

gatelist at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG gatelist at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Fri Dec 8 11:39:38 AEST 1989

Until recently I have been able to use my 3B-1 at home as a terminal to dial in
to computers at work.  However, for security reasons, my employer has replaced
the conventional modems it had before with a call back system.  This is a system
Where I call in, enter a few magic numbers via touch-tone which identify me
as a valid user, and then I hang up. A few minutes later the system will call
me back (using the phone number that it has in its database entry for me.

In order for me to be able to use this, I need a program that is somewhat like
cu, but instead of placing a call, it waits around for an incoming call.  I
guess it also need to temorarily turn off the getty which would normally be
waiting for an incoming call.  BTW, I don't want to permanently turn off the
getty waiting on the modem because at other times when I am not using the
callback system, I want to computer to be able to answer UUCP calls.

Can anoyone recommend some software which does what I want.  If such software
doesn't exist, can someone suggest how I can write it myself.  I've looked
at the manuals, including dial(3C), but it seems to only talk about placing
outgoing calls on the modem; I haven't been able to find anything on waiting
for incoming calls.  Clearly there must be a way to wait (or at least poll for)
incoming calls since clearly getty must do this.

-Michael Aramini
 work:  aramini at apollo.hp.com  -or-  ...!apollo!aramini
 home:  ...!apollo!mja!aramini