second disk partitions on UNIXPC

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 20:27:57 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec3.062538.9719 at rducky.uucp> jrp at rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) writes:
>I started playing with the partition sizes on my second hard disk
>this weekend.  I wanted to decrease the 'swap' partition (partition 1)
>in order to increase partition 2.  I use partition 1 as /tmp and
>partition 2 as /usr/spool.  When formatting the disk, the default
>is 4000-5000 logical blocks (4-5 meg.).  My second disk is only 30 meg.
>so I would like to have as big as /usr/spool as possible (news really
>eats disk space).  What is a safe size for /tmp?  Or what programs use
>/tmp for a scratch area?
>
>I suppose I could set partition 1 to 0 blocks and not mount /tmp.  Is
>there a performance increase with anything (compiler, etc.) by having
>/tmp on the faster disk?

You bet! I would create an entirely new tmp dir (say /temp or /tmp2), then
set the TMPDIR environment variable in /etc/profile. A great many programs
use TMPDIR (vi, cc, sort, etc.). If a program uses tmpnam(3S) or tempnam(3S),
which ALL programs should, then you can direct tmp use anywhere you want.
You can get a lot of speed-up on compiles if you put tmp on a disk not
involved in the compile.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!