VISUAL/EDITOR = emacs in ksh

Richard H. Gumpertz rhg at cpsolv.UUCP
Tue Dec 12 03:48:41 AEST 1989

I am using ksh on a AT&T 7300 (operating system release 3.51, which is roughly
equivalent to V 2) and have a few questions:

1) What is the difference between using VISUAL=emacs and EDITOR=emacs?  Why
   should I prefer one over the other?

2) My .profile does VISUAL=emacs followed by export VISUAL.  Although this
   defines $VISUAL, it does not appear to set emacs editing mode.  For that
   I have to type VISUAL=emacs manually to the shell.  Why does ksh look at
   just the variable and not the environment?  What can I do to get around
   this?

3) I would like to run the equivalent of a .profile in every sub-ksh that I
   start.  How do I go about doing that?  That is, execute a script file and
   then enter interactive mode upon invocation of ksh.