7300 and 9600 baud modems (VT220 suggestion, and question)

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Dec 14 23:21:24 AEST 1989

jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) in <620 at uncle.UUCP> writes:

	Anybody know what the "e" protocol is supposed to be used with? STARLAN?

Yep, the "e" protocol works fine with StarLAN.  Before Lenny clued me into
this (we both bought the StarLAN cards during that special deal during October)
,
my /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file was showing a MAX of only 2000 bytes
per second (this is with the "g" protocol); switching to "e" protocol raised
the speed to an average of 30,000 bytes/second (15 times faster) over the
StarLAN connection.  I have four StarLAN NAUs, one in each of four UNIXPCs,
on the same LAN with two RS-232c-NAUs (aka NIU, for terminals, modems, etc.)
and it all works fine.

Some things weren't immediately obvious at first (requiring a LOT of research
to figure out solutions to some problems), but what I finally ended up with
was the following (skeleton form for clarity).  The original problem I had was
"cu" not working over StarLAN; the solution was the split of the Systems files
per the entries in Sysfiles.  I was almost about to patch the "cu" program to
NOT request service code 101 and instead use service code 1 (remote login)
when I found some docs in the SysVR3.2 manuals that started me thinking.  Hope
the following gives ideas and helps someone else.  The "split" also straigtened
out the "uuname" displays, so now one can do:

	$ uuname -l	# for local system name
	thadlabs
	$ uuname	# for uucico connections
	thadlabs
	tlabs3
	tlabs4
	tlabs5
	$ uuname -c	# for cu connections
	thadlabs
	tlabs3
	tlabs4
	tlabs5

Devices extraction:

	#
	STARLAN starlan - Any STARLAN
	Direct tty002 - Any direct
	Direct tty003 - Any direct
	Direct tty004 - Any direct
	Direct tty000 - Any direct
	ACU ph0 ph0 1200 PC7300 \T
	STARLAN_NAU,eg starlan - Any STARLAN \D.serve pc_uucp
	STARLAN_UU,eg starlan - Any STARLAN \D.serve SLAN_uucico

Sysfiles extraction:

	service=cu	systems=Systems.cu:Systems \
			devices=Devices \
			dialers=Dialers

	service=uucico	systems=Systems.uucico:Systems \
			devices=Devices.hop:Devices \
			dialers=Dialers:Dialers.SW:Dialers.ACU

Systems file has the "normal", non-StarLAN entries.

Systems.cu extraction:

	# StarLAN entries for cu activity
	#
	thadlabs Any STARLAN - thadlabs "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	#
	tlabs3 Any STARLAN - tlabs3 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs4 Any STARLAN - tlabs4 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs5 Any STARLAN - tlabs5 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp

Systems.uucico extraction:

	# StarLAN entries for uucico activity
	#
	thadlabs Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - thadlabs "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	#
	tlabs3 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs3 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs4 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs4 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs5 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs5 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]