From blocks to files (on a UNIXpc)

Peter Fales pfales at ttrde.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 00:44:02 AEST 1989

In article <1392 at mtunb.ATT.COM>, jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) writes:
> In article <462 at manta.pha.pa.us> brant at manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> >Given a block number, how can I find out (a) if it's part of a file,
> >and (b) what file it's part of?
>

> A)  There are so many uses of BLOCK NUMBER (and representations thereof) I
>     will simply PRESUME you are referring to:
>     	A LOGICAL BLOCK # on an identified FILE-SYSTEM.
>
>     For this case:
>     	As root, run:
>     		/etc/ncheck  -i  ####  -a  /dev/rfp###
>     	(per instructions in Section 1M).

Thanks for your posting John,  you had some good tips on file system
repair to add to my bag of tricks, but I must disagree with the statement
above.  According to my manual, as well as empirical evidence the numbers
following "-i" are a list of inodes, not a list of logical blocks.

Consider that a large file will contain many blocks, but a file will never
have more than one inode.

I am not aware of any standard tools that will go from logical block
numbers to files, though I would love to be proved wrong.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza