TeX, any answers?

Mike Haertel mike at stolaf.acc.stolaf.edu
Fri Feb 24 06:28:16 AEST 1989

In article <161 at skeeve.UUCP> arnold at skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) writes:
>Did we ever reach a conclusion as to the availability of TeX for the
>Unix/PC?  I was able to pick up the DVI previewer from hotel.cis.ksu.edu.
>And I saw the source for C-TeX.  But I was hoping to find a binary
>for TeX already compiled so that I wouldn't have to go to a lot of
>trouble and make room on my disk.
>
>Basically, all I would like to be able to do is run TeX and use the previewer.
>I don't intend to do any printing off my 3B1, so I don't need all the font
>bitmaps and stuff.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>--
>"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
>from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the
>imminent end of the world, and many other departures from the norm of thought."
>E.E. "Doc" Smith, Children of the Lens, 1954 | Arnold Robbins, skeeve!arnold

I have been running TeX on my Unix PC for some time now, with no trouble,
compiled with gcc-1.31.  I have an epson printer, and I use the DVI driver
available from cs.utah.edu.  TeX itself is version 2.93, from the
TeX-to-C distribution available from labrea.stanford.edu.  I have a
complete collection of some 400 fonts (all the CM fonts in all the sizes)
generated from the Metafont source (I also run Metafont) on the Unix TeX
distribution tape available from the University of Washington.  The
binaries for TeX, Metafont, and their friends come to about 1 megabyte.
The PK format font images, TeX macro files, and predumped formats total
about 4 megabytes (with the fonts comprising the bulk of that).  The
Metafont support files (including full source for the computer modern
fonts) are about 1 megabyte.  It's all compiled with the 3.51 shared
libraries, possibly limiting its potential usefulness to people with
older versions of the system.  If there is sufficient interest I will
see if I can make it available via anonymous ftp or perhaps uucp.
--
Mike Haertel <mike at stolaf.edu>
In Hell they run VMS.