Problems with compressed files from ftp sites

The Evil Mel Fujitsu erict at flatline.UUCP
Sun Feb 5 09:44:35 AEST 1989

I'm not sure if this is a popular problem or not, but here goes.

I was trying to get tar sources from an ftp site.  They were compressed,
no problem.  I ftp'd 'em to a local site (uhnix1), then downloaded them
to my 3b1 via kermit.

The file.Z, was about 60K or so.  (Maybe 40K?).  After a compress -d, it
was up in the 2-4 megabyte range.  The first block was a normal shar file,
then there was nothing but garbage characters.  There were no errors of
any sort during either of the file xfers, or the decompression..

Any hints?

--
"I think it would be fun to run a newspaper." -- C.F.K.
J. Eric Townsend 511 Parker #2, Houston, Tx, 77007