NMI Parity Errors while Parallel Printing

Jay Schuster jay at banzai.UUCP
Wed Feb 22 13:07:55 AEST 1989

In article <788 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>We've got a 3B1 which panics with NMI parity errors after 2-10 lines
>have printed through the parallel Port.

We have seen a lot of 3B1's go through our doors, and just this
week we had exactly this problem with one of them.  Freshly loaded
3.51.  This is with an Okidata 390 printer, but we have dozens of
other 3B1's in the exact same configuration running with no problems.
We loaded 3.51 again (actually, we swapped hard drives) and the
problem persisted.  We got AT&T to come and replace the motherboard,
and now, instead of NMI's, we get completely garbled output, as if
no handshaking is going on with the parallel port.

I think we're going to open this baby up and check the wiring to
the parallel port.

Even though we bought it recently, it has an old serial number, so
who knows?

--
Jay Schuster			uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'