SIGPHONE on UNIXPC not working

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 03:46:58 AEST 1989

I am having a problem getting a program to catch the SIGPHONE signal.
Here is a short bit of my program:

extern int wakeup();
main()
{

	signal(SIGPHONE, wakeup);	/* catch SIGPHONE (SIG_IGN by default)*/
	printf("before pause\n");
	pause();			/* take a siesta until phone rings */
	signal(SIGPHONE, SIG_IGN);	/* ignore anymore phone changes */

}

/* wakeup is a dummy so we can catch phone changes
 */
int wakeup()
{
	printf("SIGPHONE\n");
}

The output of this program simply produces:
before pause

and then it hangs.  That's fine, but when the phone rings, or when I toggle
the status of the line, my program still hangs without further output.  It
appears that my program never gets SIGPHONE.  However, the phone manager
says VOICE 1:<RING, so it appears that the signal is getting to ph.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Do I have to have a ppid of 1 like ph?
How do I get ppid of 1?

Todd Day  |  ..!pyramid!nessus!ivucsb!todd  |  todd at ivucsb.UUCP