NMI Parity Errors while Parallel Printing

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Sun Feb 26 03:45:28 AEST 1989

>One thing to check on 3B1/7300's is that in my experience with my own and
>numerous others is that they seem to eat parallel cables. I know this sounds
>really stupid but i have seen all kind of printer problems develop on Unix PC's
>rapidly and then mysteriously disappear when the cable is replaced... ????

A very common problem with the 3b1/7300 and parallel cables isn't the
cable itself, but rather how the cable connects to the 3b1.

For some reason, the parts normally available on the cable and 3b1 end
don't deal all that well with each other.  When you plug it in, it may
look and feel like it has a solid connection, but it often doesn't.

Many people have had parallel printer problems, ranging from odd
printing to complete failures.

Solution?  Forcibly press in the cable into the 3b1 while testing the
printer.  If this improves printer performance (or brings it back to
life), then get some screws and bolt the cable in place.

You'd be surprised, but it does wonders.

--
       Robert J. Granvin
 National Information Services              Gorn base 2 just appeared.
       rjg at sialis.mn.org
{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!sialis!rjg